Ankle weights are flexible, versatile, and convenient resources that can add intensity to your workouts. These exercise tools are great for performing strength-training exercises.
Thanks to their compact size, you can use them anywhere - at home, at the gym, and while travelling. You can work on large muscle groups, including your glutes, when you exercise with ankle weights.
While fitness enthusiasts of all ages can use adjustable ankle weights, they must be used properly to draw maximum benefits. Here is how you can perform thigh and glute workouts with ankle weights for the best results:
This exercise using weighted ankle straps is effective for working on the muscles on your glutes, hips, shoulders, and back.
- Attach one of a pair of leg weights for running to each ankle.
- Lay down flat on your stomach.
- Your arms must be extended out in front of you, while your legs must be extended behind you.
- Lift your arms and legs off the floor so that your quads and chest remain airborne.
- Hold this position for 15 seconds.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat 5 sets, with 15 seconds of holding time for each set.
This exercise focuses on the glutes, hips, abs, and quadriceps.
- Attach one of a pair of ankle weights for running to each ankle.
- Stand upright and take a big step forward using your front leg.
- Sink toward the floor while bending both legs so that the back knee just touches the ground.
- Bring your body back upwards by driving your weight down through the heel.
- Maintain an upright torso throughout.
- Repeat the same move using your left leg.
- Do 4 sets of 20 reps, with 10 reps done on each leg for every set.
One of the leg exercises with ankle weights, this exercise mainly impacts your glutes.
- Wear adjustable ankle weights on each ankle.
- Get down on all fours while keeping a neutral spine.
- Your knees must be right below your hips and your hands below your shoulders.
- Maintaining your thigh at a right angle, lift out one knee to the side.
- Hold this position for one breath and bring your back slowly down.
- Repeat 10 reps on one side before switching to the other side.
Kickback squats are targeted exercises with ankle weights for thighs, glutes, and other lower body muscle groups.
- Attach ankle weights to your ankles.
- Place your feet hip-width apart.
- Stand in a squat starting position.
- Lower yourself down slowly into a squat.
- Lift yourself slowly to a standing position.
- Lift one of your legs into a sidekick.
- Bring back your leg onto the floor.
- Perform the next squat using the other leg.
- Complete 10 reps with controlled movement to maximize muscle engagement.
Standing Hamstring Curl
This is among those adjustable wrist and ankle weights exercises that work your back thigh muscles to engage your glutes and hamstrings and makes them stronger.
- Wear ankle weights on each ankle.
- Place your feet hip-width apart and put your hands on your hips.
- Gradually shift your weight on your left leg.
- Begin bending your right knee as you bring your heel towards your glutes.
- Keep your thighs parallel.
- Bring down your foot slowly.
- Return to the starting position.
- Perform 10 reps and repeat the process with your other leg.
Wrist and ankle weights help you to target all major muscle groups. You can derive the benefits of ankle weights while walking as well. Make sure to select ankle weights that offer comfortable resistance.
You can check out The Cube Club for high-quality and durable leg weights.
Avoid using ankle weights for prolonged periods at a time to prevent imbalances and injuries resulting from overuse.